Friday, October 23, 2009

Strategically Talking About The Strategic Plan.

So today the president of AU joined our class for a lovely class of discussion in the Leonard Chancery, because, you know, Leonard Hall flooded. But the fact we had our very own water fall is an entirely different story. I want to talk about something I noticed that the President likes to always bring the discussion of the strategic plan back to the thing that has been successful in it. That is of course, the caliber of the students and the caliber of the faculty. Of course, this is to be expected. When you are doing a very large project, the best way to describe it is based on what was done right, not what has yet to be done. You want people to think that the plan is going, well according to plan. However, I have to admit, I could have asked the question, “What part of the plan do you think is not going well?” Yet, I believe that he couldn’t truly answer that question. The main reason being is that many of the parts of the plan revolve around the two main first ones. So maybe he is following the plan to letter, and that would probably have been his argument. By asking what has been accomplished in the strategic plan, I was able to verify the reason why he kept linking his answers to those two goals.
The best example of this may be the star wars Family Guy video. I am going to post it here, so you all may enjoy the funny, yet revealing episode. The Stewie/Vader is asking about the new Death Star. The Captain gives all the good parts of the new station, and only after much persuasion does Stewie/Vader find out the truth. Anyway, I am not saying the president is that bad. Obviously not. He was right to do that, especially since everybody needs reassurance about the executive branch. I believe he is trying his hardest, and I actually have more respect for him now than I had for him before. He did the right thing, and the thing I would have done. It was respectable. So anyway, my summary is that he glossed over some of the strategic plan strategically. That’s respectable in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment