Saturday, October 3, 2009

MBTI Reflection

The results of the MBTI test was just as I’d suspected. I am introverted person who takes in information in terms of the big picture, makes decisions based on how I feel, and judges the outer world in an organized manner. Cool, so what does that mean? It means I know myself and my tendencies in terms of how I interact with others and make important decisions in my life. But now what? How will this help me figure out what I want to do with my oh so undecided life?

I guess there’s no real answer. I could take this personality test strictly and come to terms with the fact that I am best suited for a career as playwright, social scientist, or even monk. Clearly, the world is my horizon. Perhaps I just don’t like being told what to do or what I would be best at based on a series of questions. The most important thing I got out of taking the MBTI was finding out that I know myself well in terms of the four areas it tested. I feel that it’s very important people don’t take the results of these types of tests as fact, but instead as a gauge or indicator of what one’s tendencies are in general. After all, if I took these results as certain, my dream of being a scientific researcher would not be possible since my results suggested I pay closer attention to detail along with not including this career in my possible job choices section.

I am glad we had the opportunity to take this test though because I had always wanted to see what my potential strengths and weaknesses are. The information was valuable, but I feel like I would need to take it again closer to when I would be starting my career since who I am and how I act will probably change by then.

2 comments:

  1. I must agree with you. It seems ridiculous that we box ourselves in these tests thinking that the career choices it presents for us are the only ones we must consider. It only shows a pattern of what our habits and preferences are and suggests some POSSIBLE choices that we could develop some interest on. There were some people who expressed some concern upon finding that their preferred career choice had not been listed. To this I must say that a test can't define what it is that we choose to be and it definitely does not say you can't be successful at other careers. Like you, I also believe that in the end, the only person that can define their life is the individual; not a test that took ten minutes to take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it does help us to learn about ourselves in those four subjects. But what about every other subject that is involved in our lives? Where do those disappear too? I think only we can judge ourselves, and I find it hard to even call this an indicator about myself. Good job describing the test!

    ReplyDelete