Monday, October 26, 2009

Parent's Weekend

I think the rest of you have President Kerwin's talk pretty well covered, so I'm instead going to write about how this weekend a whole lot of people's parents, including mine, came to visit. This was my first time seeing my parents since I went home for a Jewish holiday over a month ago, and I actually felt like my relationship with them changed a bit more then it did when I went home after being at college a month. Maybe it's because I've been a way a bit longer now, or perhaps because we were at school (essentially my home) instead of in my parent's house, but I felt like for at least some of the I was relating to them much more as an adult than I ever have before. This wasn't consistently the case (sitting in the back seat of the car made me feel quite childlike) but I do feel like there was a shift, and that's interesting.

In every family, I think parents and children struggle to figure out how their relationship is supposed to change once the "child" is an adult. I'm the oldest sibling in my family, so for us this is new territory. I was actually a technical (legal) adult for most of the last year I spent living at home, but I didn't really feel like one. Now I think I've actually started the process, and it's kind of scary. I don't think my parents will be coming for parent's weekend next year...it seems like that would be kind of unnecessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment