Friday, October 9, 2009

Happiness v Money

Today we had another guest speaker. Her name was Mary Hansen, and she was a very energetic speaker. Out of the many points she made to us today, the one that I was the most expected by was the point that you must always do what you love. It goes hand in hand with the fact that you can only decide your life, not some MBTI test. She pointed out that she changed her major several times. Wouldn’t that imply she changed her MBTI results several times in her young life? I would think so. So what are we looking at? The key to life is happiness. Happiness in what you do, not in just money. For instance, I enjoy starting something, and taking it to new and exciting heights. Like a new club that gains power and members through the years. Well, this is the first time I actually said that, and the first time I really thought about how I enjoy making something out of…well nothingness. But, maybe that’s just one thing. Maybe I can find something I enjoy doing that I can bring up from the ground. Who knows? I’m just ranting on what I may want to do to be happy. Anyway, seeing how excited she was about her job really got through to me that being happy is more important than just money.

2 comments:

  1. Tails,

    You make an excellent point in stating your realization that finding happiness in a career is more important than wealth. Since you've reached this conclusion, I'm curious to know your opinion on the following (and I don't mean to sound like a greedy person when I ask this). Do you think there would ever come a point in the future when one realizes that money from a career is more important than the joy derived from it? And if it does, how would one handle this change of perception?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually it happens the other way around ... someone might choose a job solely for the money and then later realise that he/she is not happy in that position. Of course there are times when one chooses a job because he is passionate about it and then wish that he was earning more money. I knew some people in this position and it's definitely not a nice one to be in.

    It becomes a matter of happiness over depression ... but unless one is willing to make a big change, they may stick with the well-paid job. I guess it comes down to the strength of the person involved. I think that for the health and quality of life of the person, it is usually beneficial for them to put joy before money.

    I really just think that it's a difficult position.

    ReplyDelete