Sunday, October 25, 2009

President Kerwin Yet Again

I thought it was great that President Kerwin came to class on Friday. I was glad that we were able to speak to the president of AU. I feel that it is good to hear what is going to happen to our university from the person with the most power in the university. I also felt that many of the things he said were very insightful and interesting. When President Kerwin talked about college being abrasive, I found that I felt the same way. College should not be easy; it should be a huge shock that rocks your world. It was interesting that he put into words exactly how my college experience has been so far and it made me feel much better that I'm not quite comfortable at AU. I also found that his life experiences were interesting and more realistic than any of the other speakers' experiences. I admired President Kerwin for how he never regrets things that he has done, that is a great way to live your life.

In contrast to the things I found interesting about President Kerwin, there was on thing that I found really frustrating. Everything he said was a front and carefully calculated. His speech was very measured and constant. His tone was also very calm. Basically, everything he said was pre-planned and constructed for his audience. I really wished that he would have been genuine or at least say one thing that was off the cuff. It was also very annoying how he used veiled references to past presidents and scandal. I really wish President Kerwin had been honest and open.

No comments:

Post a Comment