Sunday, October 11, 2009

I might just want to be a professional learner

I know I really really want to be in the Secret Service, but I have absolutely no idea how to do it. Some people say learning a language is what they want, or be a lawyer, or try accounting, or for that matter learn anything well and they will be impressed. The general idea is that you need to come to the Secret Service with a skill and they can teach you the rest.

So the question is: which skill do I want to come to them with. I sit in my Justice class and am positive I could be a really good criminologist. I think go to psychology and think I should go to school and be a physiologist. But then people come into my Explorations class, and everytime I think "hmm well that sounds coool too". I thought I hated economics, but the guest speaker who came in on Friday spoke to the class for about 10 minutes on straight up economics, and I now am positive I will be taking an economics class (hopefully hers) next semister.

I was on the American website a few days ago and I saw something for the school of education. I thought we did not have a school of education so I clicked the link and realized it is just what they called their education dept. But I then spend 15 minutes looking at the list of classes and thought I would like to take half of them.

The problem with college for me is not getting 120 credits. Its figuring out not to have 220 credits. With 4 majors and 6 minors. My point is, I know what I want, but how do I get there?

2 comments:

  1. You raise an interesting point. It seems that our society has lost that ideal of the renaissance man in search of someone who can simply gain extremely specific knowledge in an equally specific field, yet that doesnt satisfy the human psyche. Do you think its possible that our education system doesnt really value learning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. - I know what you mean "sasafras" I want to do everything as my major and minor and I have a couple of points that both talk to Joe and Sasafras's comments....
    Yesterday I went to hear Alexander Knapp's presentation and he was so interesting. The lecture was "World Domination: 101". He was saying that yeah major and minors are great, but it is specific skill sets that employers look to more than all your majors and minors and acheivements in that aspect.
    The skills we learn in school will truly allow us to succeed in the world, more than knowing the dates of the Crimean War. How we attain and maintain that knowledge is more important than the actual information (unless you turn out to be an academic concentrating on the Crimean War!)
    The logical skills required to understand math, the conceptual skills from analyzing novels will help us whatever path we go down in life!
    So the better question would be whether learning depicts the skills we develop or the information we maintain....

    ReplyDelete