Wednesday, October 21, 2009

American Community

I feel American University is a community, but more than that, I feel all colleges are communities. The reason is that colleges can be used to identify what type of person you are. When I say I am from American University, people generally either say, “Where is that?” or “Oh wow that’s a good school.” If it is the second question, than they just took all stereotypes from American University that is known about the college and applied them to me. What I am trying to say is that the college is a community because of how people define it. I feel that any place that can be defined by people is a community. For instance, I mentioned in class that Ben said he was from Boston, and the first thing I asked was whether he was a Red Sox fan. Unfortunately he was, but that is beside the point, which is that I could identify something about him from his community. So in away, a community defines who you are. So American University generally means to people what? Well I guess it means that most people there are at least vaguely interested in politics. It probably also means that you are of a decent IQ, because American university is a pretty smart college. American University describes some of us because of these traits, and some of us through other ways. In the end, we are a community because we create these traits. It is a cycle. A community of people creates traits in their community, and then other people come to the community because they like those traits. American University has created their traits, and now students such as myself, came here to be a part of the community with these traits.
Secondly, a community works together to accomplish goals. This happens at American University all the time! Ecosense works with the rest of AU to help us go green. At the same time, the SUB supplies entertainment, and the RHA keeps us all comfortable. The professors teach us, while we maintain decorum and participate to make the class better. In the end, this working together unites the college, making it a community. We all help each other through clubs and activities, and this maintains a decorum that allows AU to function as a community.

No comments:

Post a Comment