Monday, October 5, 2009

The MBTI doesn't seem to believe people can change

So I'm not exactly surprised by my MBTI results (gussed 3/4 right), but not thrilled by them either. In particular, I'm not a big fan of most of the career options that the test have me. Most of them are math and science related, and while I really wish I had my aptitude for those subjects (and think that more girls/women should go into them) I'm not very skilled or interested in math or science. Actually, the test kind of made me wonder if the reason why people with a certain personality type seem to dominate certain professions isn't because people with that personality type aren't steered toward that profession. Why couldn't a boisterous, outgoing person be a computer programmer or engineer? Why can't a introverted person (particularly if they are only introverted in certain situations) be a social worker? Also, maybe being in those professions would actually shape the person's personality to "fit" them better, at least to some degree.

I'm rather introverted. That isn't a surprise to me. However, I really feel like I've grown as a person over the last several years and I'm more social than I used to be. I still don't always do very well, particularly in unstructured large groups, but I think there's still room for improvement. I'm not going to pursue a career that doesn't sound interesting to me just because the MBTI doesn't think I'm extroverted enough for the ones that are.

No comments:

Post a Comment