Sunday, November 22, 2009

Reflection on the American Indian Museum

When we went to the American Indian Museum on Wednesday, I really didn't know what to expect. I figured that it would be an interesting and well kept museum as it is part of the Smithsonian, but I didn't know how it would treat the tricky topic of Native Americans in US History. My first impression of the museum was the building; it was beautiful. I reminded me so much of the years I live in Idaho and spent my summers in the Rockies. I made me want to go out West and just wander under the endless sky. I felt like I was in Marsing, under Lizard Bute looking up at the amazingly clear and bright blue sky, as I stood near the main entrance. Then as I walked around the building, I felt like I was in Idaho ( I know this sounds because I was in the middle of downtown Washington, DC but It really felt like that). I guess the outside of the building gave me the impression that this museum actually was not going to tip-toe around all of the complicated issues with Native American history and American history. When I walked in I was impressed at first as I looked at the exhibits on the fourth floor. But about ten minutes later, I realized that this was just another museum to make the US look good. The focus was not on many North American tribes, but on Latin American and South American tribes. The museum was othering the Native Americans of North America. The exhibits seemed to be saying "look how different they are, they are not us, we are very different." There were very few instances of examples of how everyone is American. The museum was separating the audience and history in to us and them. There was no middle ground. I was shocked the more and more I thought about it. I had expected the museum may have been a bit more inclusive, but it just seemed to project division. I did not see a single mention of any of the atrocities committed against the Native Americans throughout history; there were the anthropological exhibits of the past and a leap to Native Americans today. I had really hope that the museum would be open and tell the truth. I also found that the most interesting/compelling/controversial exhibit was in the corner of the museum through a back, unmarked hall way. The exhibit was called IndiVisible: African-Native American Lives in the Americas. It was very interesting, but at the same time it is one of the sections of American history that is buried and ignored. Finally, the name of the museum is of great interest. The American Indian Museum. Why??? Isn't the politically correct name The Native American Museum. Why was this name chosen? I was and am extremely disappointed with how the museum dealt with the issues surrounding the community that it is dedicated to.

No comments:

Post a Comment