Sunday, November 15, 2009

Arlington and its relationship to Death

Dear Diary,
On Wednesday, I saw the presidential motorcade, a decoy, and either the presidential motorcade again or Biden's motorcade. It was amazing. I know I was supposed to be observing about the community of Arlington, but that was very much of a challenge due to the security that was in place. So instead I focused more on the general people around me. Specifically, I was impressed with all the people in military uniforms who were at Arlington. Besides the members of the various color-guards/ honor-guards, there was also a large presence of what looked like young military college aged students. I imagined them being on a class trip much like the one we were on.

What made me think, was that I could have been one of those men. My friend kyle is in the Air Force Academy, I could have applied to it or any other branch of the military. I looked around Arlington and thought that I was glad I didn't have to worry about going to war, and as a result I did not really worry about being another white grave or unknown solider buried there. But I wonder if the men in uniform did think about that; I wonder if they realize that there was a very good chance they would come home, but because of the path they were on, there was also a chance they might one day be brought to Arlington for a final resting spot. Its a little morbid when you think about it I guess, but I wonder if being in the military and going to Arlington just gives people the "willies".

It in a way makes me think about when people know where they are going to be buried or they pick out their own coffin before they die. I would want to know I was being buried somewhere nice, but I don't think I would really want to think about my death and the absoluteness that surrounds it.

Until Next Time,
Sasafras

No comments:

Post a Comment