Saturday, September 5, 2009

Working Hard (Reflection 2)

I know that many times we are told that if you work hard you will succeed. Yet, more times than not we are overwhelmed by the idea that only the rich get richer, and that people who don’t work as hard can get better grades than those who can. However, Dr. Danna Walker shows us how her hard work helped her overcome even her father’s expectations. I would really like to reflect on hard work in this reflection, because it was something she seemed to stress, and I feel the need to stress it too. Hard work is in my opinion, is a controversial subject in everybody’s head. There is always an inner battle going on whether to do your homework or go out with friends. Or on how many hours you should spend studying. And there is a very simple answer to this. Because hard work is hard.
Hard work however, is the difference between passing and failing, doing better or worse, or just getting something done at all. I can use so many examples to explain this. My first will be my own example. Last night, I could have went outside or read a book for my college writing class. My teacher had threatened once to quiz us on the reading, but he hadn’t yet, and I began to believe that it was just an empty threat. However, I knew I had to do my work, so I did the reading and cut into time with my friends. Was it worth it? Oh yeah. Today the teacher walked into the room and said, “Pull out a piece of paper, I want to quiz you on the reading.” Hard work has already helped me out there, because in all modesty I did well on that quiz.
Everybody has their hard work stories. Dr. Walker didn’t stop there. She told how through her hard work, she became educated and experienced, and has even served in jobs that women have never served in before. It was nice to see hard work paying off for somebody, and looking back it makes me feel quite good for her and more hopeful for me. Maybe if there were more success stories, and more people who are inclined to do less will look up and start to do more for themselves. And that is something we can work for. Who knows, maybe by working hard like Dr. Walker did, we can inspire somebody else the way she inspired me. And that is worth the hard work within itself. This isn’t to say that Dr. Walker did not have other important things to say. She did. But, this is what hit me the hardest.

No comments:

Post a Comment