Wednesday, September 2, 2009

"Bear" Necessities

So most of my other friends took the college transition as the perfect opportunity to not bring their beloved stuffed animals with them or at least think over the idea. However, for me there was no choice. Bear, so cleverly named, has been a huge part of my life since the day I was born when he was given to me by my grandmother. To me, his raggedy beaten up self represents home wherever I am since from a young age he has been a symbol of comfort and security through good and bad childhood times. Bear comfortably sits on my bed every morning after I get up and is therefore always visible to any guests of my room.
On one hand, having Bear here and so visible could portray an identity of vulnerability and childishness to someone who may not know me well. Contrastingly, aside from a multitude of pictures, I do not have many other objects that remind me of home and the security that comes along with the thought of home for me. Also, when people see my stuffed animal, it is clear to them that I made a conscious decision to bring him to school with me. This indicates what a big part of my life he has been and continues to be during this difficult transition in my life.
My classmate’s response to Bear was similar to how I viewed his presence in my room. They said that it showed that I missed home and wanted something in my room that was special to remind me of home. They said that it showed that I was a sensitive person, but not that I was immature, just in touch with my sensitivity and my periods of homesickness. I was interested in the fact that their initial reaction was not one of surprise or negativity, but of positive acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment