Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Russian Thing from Home

There were so many things that I brought with me from home to make my dorm room feel a bit less foreign. There were so many thing that my mom said I should leave at home and did. And yet, even after I left most of my stuff at home, my third of the room is defiantly me. At home I have so many little figurines and momentos, but here I have limited myself to only three: my stone bear from Banff, Canada, my snow globe that Alejandro made me, and my Cheburashka matryoshka doll from Russia. (Here's what a matryoshka doll is)I get the most comments on Cheburashka. I think he says a lot about me. Cheburashka is a Soviet cartoon character as well as the mascot for the Russian Olympics in 1980 and for the upcoming Olympics to be held there in 2014. My Cheburashka is about 3 1/2" tall, made of Birch (just like traditional matryoshkas), and stares up at you with adorable bright blue eyes.

For me, Cheurashka represents three things: my last family vacation, Russia, and wonderment. First, I acquired
Cheburashka during my trip to Russia this summer. This vacation was the last before I left home and it was a time for me to just spend with my parents. Spending time with my parents was (and still is) very important first because I am very close to my parents, and second because it was the first time in about a year and a half when we were able to spend time together just the three of us. Cheburashka also represents Russia for me. First, Cheburashka is a product of the Soviet Union. Second, he is made up of multiple layers, just like Russia. Russia is not simply understood; it is complicated and made up of multiple layers. Finally, Cheburashka represents wonderment to me. I remember that while I was in Russia, all I did was wonder and ponder the vast country that I was in. I also distinctly remember that my reaction to Cheburashka the first time I saw him was pure wonderment. I thought what is this thing and why is it absolutely everywhere? As to what identity Cheburashka preforms, I think that he is a mixture of old Soviet ideas, modern tourist keepsake, and a little part of my life. His identity as Soviet cartoon character is defined by the Soviet ideals such as equality and friendship. As a Modern tourist keepsake, he is defined by all the dolls, toys, and everything else he has been made into and sold to tourists. Finally, Cheburashka is a little part of my life as he is a reminder of my trip and of my parents.

When I asks someone else about what she thought
Cheburashka said about me, she came up with things that I had never intended Cheburashka to represent. She said that Cheburashka showed that I like thing that fit together and make sense and that I have different personalities. Both of these things have nothing to do with the way I see Cheburashka. I do like things that fit together and make sense, but not to the extent that I do not like complicated situations, especially in politics and history. I enjoy the chance to problem solve and debate; they are two of my favorite things about school. Also, I do not have different personalities. I many act differently in distinct situations or with different people, but my personality is always the same. To put it simply, I react appropriately according to the situation. (The only time my personality has ever changed was after a snowboarding accident during sophomore year and a major concussion; so for two weeks I truly was not myself.) Cheburashka is the aforementioned things and I actually really never intended him to mean anything to anyone but me.

Finally, enjoy some
Cheburashka for yourself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment