Monday, September 28, 2009

I reallly liked talking about ABE

I loved going on our field trip to do a site base ethnography. At first I thought the event would be a waste of my time. I went to the closest monument there was, which was Abe Lincoln. I marched my self up the stairs along with my partner. There we sat and watched people for about 10 minutes taking notes like "he looks serious" and "people do not get to close to him".

At this point we both realized this was not working and I asked my partner (AL) if she thought it was a good idea to talk to people. We walked around for the rest of the time meeting people, talking about their views on Lincoln and enjoyed ourselves in the process.

Some of the topics we discussed included:
Peoples opinions on Abe Lincoln
Peoples opinions on the monument (looks/ artistic design)
Peoples opinions if the monument was a good representation
Peoples opinions on what other people thought Lincoln stood for
ETC, Etc

Everyone we spoke to was from a slightly different background and helped to give a better and broader view. We managed to speak to 30 year olds, 18 year old students, a park ranger, members of the armed services, a foreigner, two older couples, a mother with a young son, and a few 50 (or so) year old men.

Talking with these people was fun and defiantly helped make our site ethnography come to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment