Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Augustine VS Ellison (Not the Brithish Ellison)

It does matter that Augustine and Ellison are two differet genres and two very distinct writing styles.

Augustine tells his story as a true personal history. He wants people to reflect on specifics of his story. He wants us to think about write and wrong, and he wants us to follow his example. I beleive he would have had a harder time doing this, if he wrote a standard story and just expected people to understand it is about life and purpose.

At the same time, Ellison wrote in a completly different style. His story, which at this point, I believe is fiction, is very intersting. However to me, it is just a story. I feel bad for the main charachter, and think "wow racism was terrible, and oh he had a hard life" however I do not think it has the same mental impact as Augustines book. To me, Ellison seems to be a story and Augustine is real.

At the same time, I do find Ellisons story more interesting then Augustines and am enjoying this one way more.

No comments:

Post a Comment