Sunday, September 20, 2009

Learning Beyond the Classroom!

Debra Humphrey’s presentation last class was very interesting seeing as that I was not aware of any organization that tried to help students be exposed to parts of college education that would later help students when getting a job. I was fascinated by the fact that job sources were as, if not more, interested in other aspects of college education rather than strictly the technical components needed for the job. For example, Ms. Humphreys discussed the engineering company that was stressing the job applicant’s ability to write well and interact with others since they felt confident in being able to teach the technical skills that were necessary for the job. I was also interested, and somewhat comforted, when she discussed how the most beneficial skills she learned during college were during her job and internship. While grades clearly have great significance, the experiences one goes through beyond the classroom in college are what ultimately shape one’s college years. These are the occurrences that make someone with a strong GPA unique from others with strong grades and more apt to have a successful job after college.

I feel very grateful to have had this presentation this early on in my college career. I know that in the past and even now at other colleges, these insights are not presented to college students, especially freshman. Being an undecided student, hearing these words of wisdom from others experiences, really helps me think about how to go about my college years to get the most of them and learn what I want to do. I now know to get the best education I possibly can by not only trying my best in classes, but also by pushing myself to aim for job experiences and internships as well as other useful extracurricular activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment