Monday, December 7, 2009

Its the Final Countdown

I started this semester with a song and I'm not ending it with one. I have been in college for almost an entire semester?! Over the next 6 days I will take 4 tests and write two papers and then pack up my clothing, drive home, and be done 1/8 done with college.

I hope I do well. I know that's pretty obvious, no one really wants to do bad, but I do help I pull this week off. I think the first semester is more about learning about college then its learning the material. You spend the first two weeks of school more preoccupied wonder if you are friends with someone on facebook and where you recognize the girl that is line in front of you, then you spend doing work. The next month or so, you try until about Halloween. I think that's when we all hit this wall and think "well I've mastered college for sure! I know which classes I don't need to try in, and I know that if I bring up baseball I can distract my psyc teacher for a solid 10 minutes." About a week after this, your grades slip and you realize that you should probably start trying, but by this point is almost Thanksgiving. And we all know we plan on just getting work done over Thanksgiving and then... well... we don't.

I wish I could teach the entire high school population what I have learned over the past two years. Everyone of my friends is in college, and everyone is happy. We all have work to do and we all have fun when we are not doing the work (often when we should be). We all procrastinate, but at the end of the night, we get it done. I want to be the one to tell people to take a deep breath and enjoy the ride.

So now it is December 7th at 1:48 am. And I realize I really hope I have learned more then just how to deal with college. In 8 hours I will wake up and take the first final of my college career.... so now it starts.... its the final countdown.

1 comment:

  1. "I think the first semester is more about learning about college then its learning the material."- I think that's a very good point, it's actually similar to what my academic adviser told me at the beginning of the semester when I was stressing over my schedule, but I didn't believe him then. This also makes me feel better about not being as busy this semester as part of me thinks I should be been- maybe I didn't do an internship or get a job but I did learn how to function in college and there's plenty of time for everything else later.

    ReplyDelete