Saturday, December 5, 2009

Final Reflection

Its over? Is it really? I mean, I still remember walking into the dorm room for the first time, and I remember meeting Joe, and Ben, and realizing that Joe doesn’t harsh your mellow and that Ben can not stand the Yankees. I remember waking up during discover D.C. to find out that despite our fears, there was no line for showers (great moment). I remember traveling to get Ice Cream, and hearing Georgina and discovering she was British! I remember meeting Julie, Allison and Jena, and finding out that Allison can draw great Pokemon, that if you talk to Jena, she can make you laugh with a great sarcastic statement, and that Julie loves coffee more than anything. What about Sofie, who back home had the nickname Sof Sof, which was quickly adapted to Sofalof. Or Allison P., who has a great voice on the radio, and can discuss all genres of music. What about Annie, who teamed up with Joe to teach me the subtle differences between the Southerners and the “Yanks”. Or Linda, who always had some democratic view to argue about with me. Let’s keep moving. Keara is still trying to convince me that she lives in the suburbs of New York, but let’s face it, its upstate. Anna can always give some good advice when needed, and Molly always can make you laugh when your down. Miranda is a great group leader, and is probably the only one truly organized here. Alex is Polish, and despite what I thought, I learned that the Polish language is nothing like Russian. Corrine and Aline are both “loungemates” which means they can always be found in the lounge, and currently, I am at “war” with them. Yet, Aline can take care of a gold fish the way nobody else can, and despite several arguments, I can not convince Corrine that it is Soccer, not Football. Katie is always having computer problems, but I learned that mostly, they are not her fault. Brad introduced me to “Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia”, which may just be the reason I am getting through finals. Andrew has at least 4 nicknames derived from his last name, and is the only one who knows how my last name can be made into a nickname. Justin has a love for all things Secret Service, and as I write this, I am tempted to my secret service headset in my ear just for fun. Finally, Ana taught me that everybody has different ideas, and it is always smart to listen to all of them.
I know I have to reflect on the class, but I think just that was half of what the U.C. was about. I learned about different people, and became friends with everybody in it, learning about all of them, and through them, discovering yourself a little more. Besides that, making great friends so fast was amazing, and we all helped each other where we could. It helped with the transition to college to meet these people right away, and stick with them through our first and second terms. And hopefully longer. As for the class itself, we saw a lot of D.C. we would have never seen, and explored many areas of the human psych. I still don’t know what I exactly want to be with my life. Not yet. But I think the point of this course was to show that the human brain is always changing. It might be best to explore what I want to be by trying different things. That is the only way to truly know what I want to become. I did learn that I enjoy psychology and I learned that despite what I was at my old high school, I changed a lot, and for the better. Maybe, despite how much becoming a freshman hurt the ego, it was helpful to break away from the old routine, and join something new, and something challenging. Plus, being off Staten Island, besides separating me from people like those on the Jersey Shore, showed me a whole new world of ideas and diversity. Through hearing these ideas and thoughts in class, and into delving into discussions that gave everybody a different point of view, I wonder if maybe I changed more than I know, and if maybe, I will find my way to what I want to be, by just exploring myself. I may be com a lawyer, maybe not, but I will keep looking.
I think the best way to look at this is through this quote by J.R.R. Tolken. “There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.”

5 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right. Yes, becoming a freshman degrades one's ego, but in the end, if we want to get anywhere new, we have to be a newbie again. I would honestly rather be a freshman at American University than a senior at Bowie High School any day!
    To be honest, I haven't really thought of myself as a freshman. I've been trying to hard to adjust myself to see myself as any different from the other students here.
    Good post, and J.R.R. Tolken is a beast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best reflection ever!! You're right, the best way to learn about ourselves is by exploring yourself. Yes, through our interactions with each other, our views become broader. But in the end, it all comes down to our own thoughts, ideas, and most importantly, our own choices. I hope you find what you seek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean this is the best reflection ever!! You are such a great person and friend and make this explorations group better than ever!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! This was so adorable! Thank you Sean ..... and it's football not soccer :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post. I totally agree with everyone that it is much better to challenge yourself and grow than remain comfortable as long as possible. And unfortunately Sean, I did learn how your last name can be turned into an embarrassing nickname.

    ReplyDelete