Monday, August 31, 2009

I get irrated at things and people rather easily when I am in a group setting , espically when I feel that my opinion is not the same as the majorities. I normally will try to express my opinion and share my thoughts about twice, and then give up and sit in the group for the rest of the time making faces (often by raising eyebrows at people who I find to be “silly” ).

This is what occurred during our meeting on Friday. People believe that the stadium is a waste. I have no idea if it is a good idea or not. I will be honest, I didn’t research this stadium and I have not researched “why the Verizon center is the fluke in the mix”.

What occurred to me is this…. You cannot expect a team with no real history to have a history. Maybe in 30 years they will… they will get rid of the statues in the front and put up statues of their greats. Maybe they will tear down the signs and posters highlighting famous DC sports stars, and famous baseball stars and instead have it of just their greats. But at this point, there would simply be a pretty boring wall of history (with a ton of empty space) if we just went with what the DC nationals history is.

People also thought it was redicilous to have so many expensive corporate suites and found it to say something about the team that there were so many different options for people besides watching baseball (like going to the arcade or going to a fun bar type place). The Yankees got more box seating when they expanded their stadium and now have a kids fun area.

All in all, I think we need to give this stadium time. Teams don’t get good overnight. (I mean the Yankess did… but that’s a different story)

1 comment:

  1. First of all Sasafras, when your opinion is in the minority, don't just sit back and let everyone else talk. If you really feel strongly about your opinion speak up no matter what everyone else is saying. I spent all for years of high school in the minority and saying the thing that no one agreed with or wanted to hear. I found it very frustrating at times when no one agreed with me, but I would have been even more frustrated and even angry with myself if I hadn't said anything. I would have not been myself if I had not spoken up. Also, by not saying what you want to, you are letting others determine your actions. So my advice is to stop making silly faces and speak up, but it's up to you.

    Secondly, I can understand why people want to build a multi-million dollar baseball stadium. Baseball is "the American pastime", so our nations capital should defiantly have a baseball team of its own along with an amazing new stadium. I am actually fine with the idea of DC having its own baseball team and all that goes only with it, if the money had not been needed somewhere else. DC's public schools had a much greater need for the money that when to building Nationals' Park. I also wish that the energy spent on the stadium could have been focused on the schools as well. And if you are not a fan of supporting DC public schools, the money and energy could have bee spent on DC's homeless population, the Metro, and even on basic things such as the out dated water and sewer system.

    ReplyDelete